Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Painting and more projects

Back in June, we bought a table, 4 chairs, and a bench for $20 off KSL. Talk about a great deal! They were all solid pieces in great condition, but they were black/brown and kind of ugly. After doing some research on painting furniture and looking at a bunch of finished pictures, I decided that I needed to paint them. I chose a clean white for the table and a light blue for the chairs. I was happy with how the table turned out, but I thought the chairs were a little too "baby blue" so I repainted them to a soft light blue/teal color (which I love!). Wow, I had no idea how time consuming it would be! The table wasn't so bad because I could use a roller on the tabletop, but the chairs took forever and needed a paintbrush for everything. Because  they were such a dark color, they also needed quite a few coats.

The chairs before (the table was the same: black legs and brown top, but I didn't get a picture of it) and after. Sorry about the glare on the table, but it is all painted white. I also made the curtains to add a bit more color in the kitchen.

After finishing the table I had some white paint leftover, so I started painting Lydia's changing table and dresser...

Both her dresser and changing table were the same light brown color, although I only took a picture of the changing table before painting (top right). I painted both white and sprayed the knobs blue. They look so much better now, I don't know why I didn't paint them a long time ago. As I was waiting for the first coat on them to dry, I decided to also paint the dresser and 2 night stands in our room...

More before and after. Once again, they were both the same color, but I only took a before picture of one of the night stands. I also spray painted the handles a pretty silver color. Now our room looks so much cleaner and bigger. I really should have painted them 3 years ago when we got them!

While I was still in the mood for painting and doing projects, I also did a few quick ones. Neal and I were always misplacing our keys, so I bought an old frame at DI, spray painted it, and added cup hooks on the bottom. Viola... new key holder. We do still lose our keys on occasion, but not nearly as often now.

I got this great mirror for $3 at a yard sale. In fact, the guy who sold it to me took it off his bathroom wall just for me ( when I first got there, he asked what I was looking for and when I told him  I wasn't sure, something to hang on my wall like a mirror maybe, he ran inside and brought this out). Talk about great service! I loved the size, shape, and detail on it, but didn't love the gold finish. I had leftover spray paint from redoing desk/dresser pulls, so I taped it up and gave it a few quick coats. It came out great and works really well in the living room!
Before and after. Sorry, I didn't think about taking a picture before until after I had already taped the mirror part. 

I also really wanted a white crib, but by that point, I was getting tired of painting and was almost out of paint (not to mention just a week or two away from my due date) so I sold it on KSL and bought a white one. I did make a crib bumper and crib skirt for it though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment