I keep meaning to sit down and write this story, but almost 8 months later, I'm finally getting around to it. I didn't think it was very funny at the time, but as I look back, it is pretty amusing and I know I don't want to forget it. This happened last December (I'll back date it, so the post stays in order). It was one of those busy days where lots was happening. My mother-in-law offered to watch Lydia while I ran to the gym, so I dropped her off and headed out to run. After my workout, I picked up Lydia and hurried home to shower before my visiting teachers came over (in about 15 min). Lydia was happy to play while I took a quick shower. However, as I was about to get out, she came and opened one of the bathroom drawers. Big problem! The shower in our bathroom is a small standup one in the corner behind the door. There isn't much room between it and the vanity and when the vanity drawers are open, the shower door can't open. The drawers are fairly heavy and I had no idea that Lydia could open them by herself. I was stuck and there wasn't a whole lot I could do! Meanwhile, I could hear the doorbell ringing(visiting teachers), but I couldn't go answer the door. I tried convincing Lydia to shut the drawer, but either it was too hard for her to do, or she just wasn't that interested in doing so. The shower door was too high to climb up and everything was too wet and slippery anyway. The only option I could think of was to try to shut the drawer myself. After trying and trying, I finally managed to get the shower door open a crack- enough for me to squeeze two fingers through. The most I could do was the slowly inch the door shut (like millimeters at a time). Because of the angle, I couldn't push the drawer straight, so I had to push one way, and then the other. By this point, I was beyond frustrated, not to mention freezing cold! Normally, Neal would have been getting home within a few minutes, but it happened to be on a day where he had a late shift and wouldn't be back for another hour and a half. Not knowing what else I could do, I went back to work inching to drawer shut. It took me a very tedious 45-50 minutes, but I finally got it shut! Freedom!! It never felt so good to get out of the shower!! Luckily Lydia had stayed close by, so I could hear and talk to her the whole time. She had entertained herself by pulling out everything in the bathroom and bedroom that she could get to. What a disaster! After getting dressed and combing my hair, Neal got home. Work had been slow so he'd left early. I didn't give him the best greeting and he could tell I was upset about something, so I explained what had happend. He thought it was hilarious! He did, however, help me find some dowels to put through the drawer handles for next time, so Lydia couldn't do it again. What a day!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment